Holding the Future in My Hands
In a dream, I saw a vision, most spectacular,
A woman rising up from amongst the crowd...
They were weaving baskets of congratulations,
Clucking their tongues, filling their morning
With the sunshine of her accomplishments.
There stood this woman, one from their own tribe,
Stood she tall, elegant, against tradition’s tide~
Braved she the condemnation of her sex
Drove she her ambitions, tasted success~
The path newly carved out from age of time.
At dawn, these mornings, I rise, excited
like thunder. I speak to no one, suddenly
Flowers surface as from torrential storms
Onto the desert of my once parched life
With the women at the market, I share.
No longer do I need dreams nor visions.
I am woman. I rise from the crowd and
Gather baskets woven with compliments.
With praise I sing songs that inspire their days,
And pray their dreams may sing with confidence.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holding the Future in My Hands by Jackie Allen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Walk Alone, Michael Olajubu
- Dil Chhota Ya Bada.................., sonali kumari
- Morals Mourn, Michael Olajubu
- dOnE - playing kEtCh uP, sEaN nOrTh
- Teri Yade.............., sonali kumari
- Ye Mere Nayan............., sonali kumari
- Ek Eahsaas Khushi…………………, sonali kumari
- Fin!, Jim Yerman
- ANOTHER CHANCE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Black And Blue, Electric Lady