Holding the Future in My Hands
In a dream, I saw a vision, most spectacular,
A woman rising up from amongst the crowd...
They were weaving baskets of congratulations,
Clucking their tongues, filling their morning
With the sunshine of her accomplishments.
There stood this woman, one from their own tribe,
Stood she tall, elegant, against tradition’s tide~
Braved she the condemnation of her sex
Drove she her ambitions, tasted success~
The path newly carved out from age of time.
At dawn, these mornings, I rise, excited
like thunder. I speak to no one, suddenly
Flowers surface as from torrential storms
Onto the desert of my once parched life
With the women at the market, I share.
No longer do I need dreams nor visions.
I am woman. I rise from the crowd and
Gather baskets woven with compliments.
With praise I sing songs that inspire their days,
And pray their dreams may sing with confidence.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holding the Future in My Hands by Jackie Allen )
- Dark chocolate, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Colonization, gajanan mishra
- Coexisting, Kyle Schlicher
- Feelings, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Let me tell a friend a story, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Our Fall خريفنا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sufferings, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- MacDeath - From Zombie Apocalypse Poems .., Matthew Lawler
- No where, hasmukh amathalal
- Don't Cover Your Eyes, Francie Lynch
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)