Hath I Not Wings?
Too early out of cozy nest, I a fledgling
Sought adventure, the journey a soloing flight
Over towns and cities, deep lakes, wide rivers.
With downy wings spread wide,
The birthright of my independence.
More foreign than imagined was the world.
Above, below, such strange sights seen,
I shuddered at some voices heard, yet breathed
A new perspective,
Though not without concern~
The temptation, my innocence the target.
With silken tongues, birds of prey with raw claws
Of intent, spent they their guile, coveted they my
Youthfulness, courted my wings of arresting naiveté.
With sharpened sense of power,
Of ancient persuasion, they greedily pounced.
A broken wing. A time of healing. And now grown,
Hath not I gained some knowledge, some wisdom?
Will I not now, on wing of caution, guard
Myself from attack?
Will not any who have wings
A way to learn from one’s mistakes?
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hath I Not Wings? by Jackie Allen )
- India, Connie Marcum Wong
- A Counter Revolution in Cuba, Deborah Eker
- Pure love, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Man's Hat, Darren David Weaver
- tonight i write you with one sock on, Mandolyn ...
- useless poets, Is It Poetry
- i dropped us and you were glass, Mandolyn ...
- The Typewriter, Patrick van der Loos
- Friday Night For The Writer, Patrick van der Loos
- eternal fire, george albot
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)