Hath I Not Wings?
Too early out of cozy nest, I a fledgling
Sought adventure, the journey a soloing flight
Over towns and cities, deep lakes, wide rivers.
With downy wings spread wide,
The birthright of my independence.
More foreign than imagined was the world.
Above, below, such strange sights seen,
I shuddered at some voices heard, yet breathed
A new perspective,
Though not without concern~
The temptation, my innocence the target.
With silken tongues, birds of prey with raw claws
Of intent, spent they their guile, coveted they my
Youthfulness, courted my wings of arresting naiveté.
With sharpened sense of power,
Of ancient persuasion, they greedily pounced.
A broken wing. A time of healing. And now grown,
Hath not I gained some knowledge, some wisdom?
Will I not now, on wing of caution, guard
Myself from attack?
Will not any who have wings
A way to learn from one’s mistakes?
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hath I Not Wings? by Jackie Allen )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)