Charles Henry Soutar
When the cranky German waggon,
With its ten or fifteen bag on
Comes a-jerkin’ and a-joltin’ down the dusty, limestone street,
And the “Norther’s” blowin’ blindin’,
And the rollers are a-grindin’,
And the agent jabs his sampler thro’ the sackin’ to the wheat,
Let ’em slide along the plank! slide along! slide along!
Sixty bushels for the Bank; slide along!
When your back is fairly breakin’
And your very fingers shakin’
With the heavin’, heavin’, heavin’, in the blarsted, blazin’ sun;
And the agent finds the spots out
And takes all his sample lots out
Where its rusty, pinched, or smutty—knockin’ off five pound a ton;
Sling ’em over with a jerk! slide along! slide along!
Sixty days of wasted work! slide along!
Sixty days a-ploughin’ mallee
In the God-forgotten valley
Of the creepin’, crawlin’ Murray, with the dingoes for your mates!
Sow and harrow, roll and reap it,
But you get no show to keep it,
For it’s “Boom and bust yer biler” when the cocky speculates!
Let the bankers take the lot: slide along! slide along!
Farmin’ mallee’s bloomin’ rot—slide along!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Harvest Time by Charles Henry Soutar )
- The Bad Woman, Jayeeta Shamsul
- How, Claude H Oliver II
- State of Affairs, Bill Cantrell
- sunshine won't die, Bull Hawking
- Is This The New World, Craig Anderson
- Bells of Harmony, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Bharatheeyakavitha-2, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Into The Black Of Never, Spiritwind Wood
- The Jumbo Roll, Tony Adah
- Socially Awkward, Raven Rasputin
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)