Gorgon or the Wonderful Year
|S+t+| Fame dispos'd to cunnycatch the world,
Vproar'd a wonderment of Eighty Eight:
The Earth addreading to be ouerwhurld,
What now auailes, quoth She, my ballance weight ?
The Circle smyl'd to see the Center feare :
The wonder was, no wonder fell that yeare.
Wonders enhaunse their powre in numbers odd:
The fatall yeare of yeares is Ninety Three :
Parma hath kist; De-maine entreates the rodd:
Warre wondreth, Peace and Spaine in Fraunce to see.
Braue Eckenberg, the dowty Bassa shames :
The Christian Neptune, Turkish Vulcane tames.
Nauarre wooes Roome: Charlmaine giues Guise the Phy:
Weepe Powles, thy Tamberlaine voutsafes to dye.
The hugest miracle remaines behinde ,
The second Shakerley Rash-Swash to binde.
Gabriel Harvey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gorgon or the Wonderful Year by Gabriel Harvey )
- Entrails, michael walkerjohn
- Bad luck and story, hasmukh amathalal
- 1 [Tears] (Neverending Poetry - Personal.., Lenny Orlando Camacho
- You're The Best..., Almedia Knight Oliver
- Only In My Dreams (Regional Korea), Ronald Chapman
- Being Realistic, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Countless tears., Marcondes Pereira
- Unrest Soul: Dark minds, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- me &the dragon, gordon nosworthy
- A Free Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)