Gorgon or the Wonderful Year
|S+t+| Fame dispos'd to cunnycatch the world,
Vproar'd a wonderment of Eighty Eight:
The Earth addreading to be ouerwhurld,
What now auailes, quoth She, my ballance weight ?
The Circle smyl'd to see the Center feare :
The wonder was, no wonder fell that yeare.
Wonders enhaunse their powre in numbers odd:
The fatall yeare of yeares is Ninety Three :
Parma hath kist; De-maine entreates the rodd:
Warre wondreth, Peace and Spaine in Fraunce to see.
Braue Eckenberg, the dowty Bassa shames :
The Christian Neptune, Turkish Vulcane tames.
Nauarre wooes Roome: Charlmaine giues Guise the Phy:
Weepe Powles, thy Tamberlaine voutsafes to dye.
The hugest miracle remaines behinde ,
The second Shakerley Rash-Swash to binde.
Gabriel Harvey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gorgon or the Wonderful Year by Gabriel Harvey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Michael P. McParland
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Catalyst, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Love You..!, SAK Reddy
- Into Depths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You will find, hasmukh amathalal
- Bale Visions, Adeosun Olamide
- The good theme, hasmukh amathalal
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo