Gorgon or the Wonderful Year
|S+t+| Fame dispos'd to cunnycatch the world,
Vproar'd a wonderment of Eighty Eight:
The Earth addreading to be ouerwhurld,
What now auailes, quoth She, my ballance weight ?
The Circle smyl'd to see the Center feare :
The wonder was, no wonder fell that yeare.
Wonders enhaunse their powre in numbers odd:
The fatall yeare of yeares is Ninety Three :
Parma hath kist; De-maine entreates the rodd:
Warre wondreth, Peace and Spaine in Fraunce to see.
Braue Eckenberg, the dowty Bassa shames :
The Christian Neptune, Turkish Vulcane tames.
Nauarre wooes Roome: Charlmaine giues Guise the Phy:
Weepe Powles, thy Tamberlaine voutsafes to dye.
The hugest miracle remaines behinde ,
The second Shakerley Rash-Swash to binde.
Gabriel Harvey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gorgon or the Wonderful Year by Gabriel Harvey )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Mother Nature, Edgar Albert Guest
- Sea and Rain: Lake Michigan, Keith Taylor
- The Graduation Dress, Edgar Albert Guest
- The Path O' Little Children, Edgar Albert Guest
- Mystified!, richard harris
- Off To School, Edgar Albert Guest
- Falling, Anita Jonker
- Living Monuments, Edgar Albert Guest
- A Greeting, Edgar Albert Guest
- The Better Thing, Edgar Albert Guest