Gic to Har
It is late at night, cold and damp
The air is filled with tobacco smoke.
My brain is worried and tired.
I pick up the encyclopedia,
The volume GIC to HAR,
It seems I have read everything in it,
So many other nights like this.
I sit staring empty-headed at the article Grosbeak,
Listening to the long rattle and pound
Of freight cars and switch engines in the distance.
Suddenly I remember
Coming home from swimming
In Ten Mile Creek,
Over the long moraine in the early summer evening,
My hair wet, smelling of waterweeds and mud.
I remember a sycamore in front of a ruined farmhouse,
And instantly and clearly the revelation
Of a song of incredible purity and joy,
My first rose-breasted grosbeak,
Facing the low sun, his body
Suffused with light.
I was motionless and cold in the hot evening
Until he flew away, and I went on knowing
In my twelfth year one of the great things
Of my life had happened.
Thirty factories empty their refuse in the creek.
On the parched lawns are starlings, alien and aggressive.
And I am on the other side of the continent
Ten years in an unfriendly city.
Kenneth Rexroth's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gic to Har by Kenneth Rexroth )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the hot water in], Chimako Tada
- Person of the Playful Star: Tanka [I lis.., Chimako Tada
- Love Whips You on Naked Back, Harindhar Reddy
- ~I'm Going Home~, E Nigma
- Smile poem love, Elius Rubby
- The Birds and the Fish Cry out in the Fa.., Harindhar Reddy
- Bad Grandpa, Tom Zart
- train my heart to rise like yeast and my.., Mandolyn ...
- Just Listen, Peter Johnson
- Carolina Summer, Raymond A. Foss