Frank V. Gardner
Gerry's Paintings on the Wall
On Echols Street in Sixty Three
There was some 'painting' done,
And those who did that painting
Said it was a lot of fun.
For Gerry, it was more like 'work: '
To paint walls in her house.
Her husband joined to help her,
For, if not, he'd be a 'louse.'
Two friends on Echols Street then learned
That Gerry had a wall:
So big.... and clean.... and empty,
But, no art to hang at all.
They felt, 'in her condition, '
She could not go shopping much...
For paintings, pictures, ornaments:
Those things we hang, and such.
They got the idea that
They 'really' could 'paint' too,
To help the situation,
And to show they were 'true blue.'
With canvass, brushes, oils,
And their lovely color schemes,
They set to work, each striving
To produce a pleasant scene.
That they succeeded.... well, just look:
Upon that grateful wall:
Where Gerry hung those paintings up,
Without a strain at all.
So, Charlotte's peaceful street at dusk,
And Peggy's basket bright,
Are blended in a nice effect,
A true aesthetic sight.
The Gardners have some culture now....
That's not the only part;
The paintings show that.... best of all....
Those gifts are from the heart.
(Written in recognition of two paintings, one each given to Gerry
by our good neighbors, Charlotte O'Hara and Peggy Youngblood in Vienna, Virginia, during September 1963.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gerry's Paintings on the Wall by Frank V. Gardner )
- Rescue the Poor Eves!, Dr John Celes
- Extend hand at once, hasmukh amathalal
- Memory, Benhardi Dicka
- Canoeing, Doyen Lingua
- Like child, hasmukh amathalal
- Her Saturday Ritual, Arno Le Roux
- Loving Across Seasons, Arno Le Roux
- I wish to be earthen lamp, Aftab Alam
- The Business Of Life, Arno Le Roux
- Adaptation, maria sudibyo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)