Funny Blue Balloons
I was only
Ten years old.
When I first saw
The funny blue balloons.
They covered the beach
On Padre Island
Stretching as far
As I could see.
People stared at them
People walked around them
People jumped over them
People threw sea shells at them.
What a fun game.
I would play football
And kick them
Between the getties.
And back into the gulf..
My primordial scream
Was heard round the world.
Prominent red and purple
Ran up and down
My frail jr. High body.
My legs spasmed uncontrollably
from the pain.
my lungs wouldn't work
My back, and front
At the same time.
Finally my bologna sandwich
And German potato salad
Came up to feed the Gulls.
What a day at the beach.
And all thanks
Funny Blue Balloons.
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Funny Blue Balloons by Juan Olivarez )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Hounds, Anuradha Bhattacharyya
- Decide and follow, hasmukh amathalal
- If luck ends, hasmukh amathalal
- Love grants, hasmukh amathalal
- Figure out, hasmukh amathalal
- For our crimes, hasmukh amathalal
- A Lone In The Jungle., Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Hypnosis, Naveed Khalid
- Dancing with Santa, Kirti Gupta
- Welcome to Heaven, Tayyab Ijaz