When meerkats have a day-off planned,
The family outing starts!
Young meerkats scamper cross the land
With joy inside their hearts!
The kiddies do what kiddies do
And frolic in the sun,
With parents hoping they'll live through
What's needed to be done...
From Meerkat Manor they've explored,
Their day-off to peruse,
That yonder hill that they've ignored
Till now the one they choose...
As kiddies climb, they might get weak
And that could calm them down,
Yet since some kiddies are unique,
These kiddies went to town!
The parents crawled the final stage...
Fatique had worn them out...
You'll know it when you reach that age...
Your bones display no doubt...
So meerkat Mum and meerkat Dad,
Were glad they made it home!
They ached so much that they felt bad,
Vowed never more to roam!
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Family Outing'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Comments about this poem (Family Outing! by Denis Martindale )
- Sara, Birgitta Heikka
- ZZ Ebola Seen In Light Of The 1976 Swine.., Saiom Shriver
- As a salesman, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Eyes Lock, Saiom Shriver
- Gods Will Be Watching, Kaio Clark
- Midnight Conversation in a Bar, Donal Mahoney
- Even eagles commit suicide, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Rosie, Jacquie StewartHeimann
- Hurt me or I Lie, Antonio Liao
- In Spiritual Comfort, John Beaumont
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)