Muideen Lanre Dauda
'EWA Nı E'(You Are Beauty)
At the market, where there are many
You are the most precious human
— And the only reason the market is
You charm all buyers, alluring them
to make a purchase.
You are Princess Ayotomiwa,
The daughter of King Adekanbi
— The Alafin (sovereign) of Oyo.
You are the only maiden,
Whom the sky follows with its eyes.
Last night I heard some
'awoko' bird (nightingale)
Perched on trees:
They praised your beauty,
Like they praised the growing maize,
I once heard some
'akewi' (poet) too —
In the pocket of an outfit: cut from
Eetu (fine quality royal fabric.)
I compare your beauty
With the colourful shape,
Which appears while the sun
Exchanges pleasantries with the
Not long ago, I heard the
'ewiri' (bellows) of a blacksmith,
Depicting your beauty as a night full
And your round-shape face, like the
15th day moon.
And the dimples on your cheeks
While you smile, are like two circles
drawn with a compass.
You entangle me in your love-web.
You are like water in a stream in the
Should I keep it secret, or tell about
your straight legs,
Which stand like a cedar tree?
Your 'aagogoo' (rubber) hairstyle,
Envelops your beauty, like a cock's
The 'Aran' (stretchy) garment on
Attracts the eye, like a growing
But all these are mere advantages
And blessings given to you by
Eledua (the Creator.)
For your real beauty is hidden
Behind a friendly visage you have:
Of a homely character, like a dove.
As it's said: beauty without
It is like moon-night without stars.
Also like fruit without its sweet
Your bewitching behaviour,
It could appeal to the scariest
Your attitude of a dove,
Hangs me on its trapping hook,
Which, I can never escape from.
I will forever remember the day
Your soft-spoken words have tamed
an angry lion.
You are like a regular water stream,
Which mediates the conflict between
You are not just a beauty in looks.
You are also a beauty in flesh
— The most beautiful of all beauties.
Muideen Lanre Dauda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('EWA Nı E'(You Are Beauty) by Muideen Lanre Dauda )
- no more love story, The Princess is
- Illogical, Margaret Moran
- Want, The Princess is
- The Passing of the Lord, Translation of .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Teleskof, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bearing With One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Danyell, Edward Kofi Louis
- ap english, imani halley
- Out Of Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pagan To The Truth, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- avenues america, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)