THERE’S not a person in the street,
This merry-making summer day!
The houses stand in dull array;
No profit on their doors to beat,
For all their owners are away.
The gardens blossom white and red
All solitary in the sun,
Save where some timid creatures run;
Secure across the lawns to tread,
No human dangers here to shun,—
Since men have gone on holiday;
Have left the still, suburban street
For that wide park, where people meet
In pleasures till the eve is grey.
Oh, but the home-coming is sweet!
There’s not a person in the street
Where wandering in grief I go.
These strange small houses, set in row,
Send out no human form to greet,
No busy footfalls to and fro.
Tall poplars raise their shafts beside;
And mingled shades and sunbeams bless
God’s Acre, in its quietness—
God’s town, where men are drawn to bide
Untroubled by the world’s distress.
There comes no opening of the gate,
Though to my friend I plead and pray.
‘Patience!’ the trees and sunbeams say.
‘Here only empty houses wait,
While souls are keeping holiday.’
Mary Colborne-Veel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Empty Houses by Mary Colborne-Veel )
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven, William Butler Yeats
- Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
- Laurence Overmire
(24 June 1842 - 26 December 1913)
(10 December 1824 – 18 September 1905)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
Hans Christian Andersen
(2 April 1805 – 4 August 1875)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(26 November 1731 – 25 April 1800)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)