You man of books,
You have dreamed so properly.
You kiss my lips
And say you love me.
I am thrilled to my bone,
Strive to be all I am not.
In my endevour I fail miserably.
I now have but one dream,
To blend with your dream.
You have dreamed already,
Of someone better than me.
Accept no less than the perfect.
I am not a statue,
Carved out of a piece of stone,
Chiselled and smoothed with care.
I am a brook, lively and exuberant,
With mosses, pebbles and bubbles.
I am not an image of perfection.
You smell my hair,
Deeply inhale the perfume.
You are intoxicated
By the scent of lavender
In the curve of my body.
You seek not me but a perfect shadow,
Picasso rest in the black of your eyes.
Your immaculate dream overwhelming.
I see all the images you draw,
But mine is lost somewhere.
You man of books I am done with you.
You miserable cad be off,
With your baggage of perfection.
Aimanu Begum's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Empty Dream by Aimanu Begum )
- A. A. Anzarannii As An Indian English Po.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- From My List of Annoyances, Jeff Gangwer
- When A Flower Glooms, Eshan Gupta
- A Wealth, Like Truth, Jeff Gangwer
- "If I believed in your heaven...&qu.., Jeff Gangwer
- Resignation, Jeff Gangwer
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #7, Brian Johnston
- Why Did You, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Lost Shores, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- "Be careful...", Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)