Elijah told Elisha that he had to go away.
The Lord sent him to Bethel, so he told his friend to stay.
But Elisha let him know their parting would not come to be.
"As the Lord and thy soul liveth, " he said, "I will not leave thee."
So they went to Bethel where Elisha heard some prophets say,
"The Lord is going to take your master from you on this day."
"I know this, " said Elisha, "so don't speak of it to me."
And two more times would he reject his master's selfless plea.
Then when they reached the Jordan River, everyone around
Watched Elijah part the waters and the two cross on dry ground.
Once they had crossed, Elijah—to Elisha—turned to say,
"What can I do for you before the Lord takes me away? "
To which Elisha did reply, "Please, Master, have a care.
I ask that, of your spirit, you give me a double share."
Elijah told Elisha, "My friend, this I cannot do.
For what you ask of me, the Lord alone can give to you.
But if you see me when the Lord's whirlwind takes me away,
Then you'll receive the blessing that you've asked of me today."
So when the chariot of fire from God came to the ground,
And Elijah and Elisha stood with fire all around,
Elijah went to Heaven and Elisha stood in awe.
For his request would be fulfilled; you see, Elisha saw!
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Elisha Saw! by William Chaplar )
- Adolescence, Yohan Confectioner
- Stillness, Yohan Confectioner
- Time In History, George Egba
- Jadavpur University Campus, The Coffee H.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Nature To You, Yohan Confectioner
- Dreams Come, Yohan Confectioner
- ZZ Bomb Abroad. Spank At Home, Saiom Shriver
- Dreams Go, Yohan Confectioner
- All God's 792 Poems Are Free To Preach &.., Tom Zart
- Nevermore, Yohan Confectioner
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)