A marathoner starts a race but quits after a mile,
and people ask why he so poorly fared.
It doesn't take a genius or that awfully long a while
for all to see that he was not prepared.
A football team ranked number one gets beat their opening game
by one that all agree could not compare.
It doesn't take a sportscaster of nationwide acclaim
to figure out that they were not prepared.
A prison inmate who's released comes back after a year
because he couldn't make it anywhere.
It matters not to which pedantic theory you adhere,
the bottom line is he was not prepared.
A student takes a test in school and flunks the thing hands down;
her parents freak when they become aware.
One needn't be an educator in search of renown
to ascertain that she was not prepared.
A sexually active teen is in a family way;
the father cannot be found anywhere.
It doesn't matter which ethical standard you obey,
most would agree that she is not prepared.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Be Prepared by William Chaplar )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Immersing Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ruled By Share Values, Terence G. Craddock
- Forgive Me Lord, The Oracle
- Earth's Greediest Ruling Government?, Terence G. Craddock
- She's The Devil and I am Her Sin, A.j. Binash
- depths within the shallows, Metaphorically Speaking
- You are leading being the head, gajanan mishra
- Chasing Rainbows, Rachel Nichols
- Rasta bhoole nahi thhe, ANJALI KAKATI
- Without Purpose Or Reason Affixed, Lawrence S. Pertillar