A marathoner starts a race but quits after a mile,
and people ask why he so poorly fared.
It doesn't take a genius or that awfully long a while
for all to see that he was not prepared.
A football team ranked number one gets beat their opening game
by one that all agree could not compare.
It doesn't take a sportscaster of nationwide acclaim
to figure out that they were not prepared.
A prison inmate who's released comes back after a year
because he couldn't make it anywhere.
It matters not to which pedantic theory you adhere,
the bottom line is he was not prepared.
A student takes a test in school and flunks the thing hands down;
her parents freak when they become aware.
One needn't be an educator in search of renown
to ascertain that she was not prepared.
A sexually active teen is in a family way;
the father cannot be found anywhere.
It doesn't matter which ethical standard you obey,
most would agree that she is not prepared.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Be Prepared by William Chaplar )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- What It is In My Karma, Dharma? (My Unse.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Just Flow In Love ~~~ ~~~ ~~~, LUVinThe NOW
- Wish I Could Come With You!, Geetha Jayakumar
- Superstitions., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- आंबो सासे राजा, Bahadur Basumatary
- Miss Coal Beauty/ Coal Black Diamond Girl, Bijay Kant Dubey
- THE LAST SCENE المشهد الاخير, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Keep Smiling!, Geetha Jayakumar
- THE LAST SCENE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Gone, Kareem Sameh