During A Journey In Sweden
My boyish heart in thee confided,
For to the great by thee 't was guided.
As man, my waiting is for thee,-
The Northern cause with thee, with thee!
Rich lands and talents are thy dower,
But fallow lie thy wealth and power.
Thou must the North in concord bind,
Or never shalt thy true self find.
There's longing in thy folk arisen,
Poetic hope-but yet in prison.
Though forces great within thee dwell,
Thou art not wholly sound and well.
Too many things are undertaken,
Too oft the task is soon forsaken.
Though rich in promptings of the heart,
In faith and duty faint thou art.
In danger only hast thou thriven,
When something great to guard was given.
When every breast with warmth shall glow
At Sweden's name, thy strength thou'lt know.
What's thine alone lifts not thy feeling,
Till honor's cause the skies are pealing,
Thou hast no joy but daring deed
In fortune's favor or in need.
For thy fair memories inspiring
Are far too great, much more requiring:
The Northern cause! Lead thou the way!
'T will double glory thee repay!
Of all thou canst, this is the greatest,
Thy duty earliest and latest.
Thy future rests in its embrace
With cure for ills that now abase.
Thou land of heart-born fancies thronging,
Thou land of poetry and longing,
Fill now thy heart, thy spirit free!
The Northern banner waits for thee!
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (During A Journey In Sweden by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
- Bashfulness is the ornament for a youthf.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Yours, and only mine, Maya Tod
- IQ poeam, Angry Brownbear
- Lacklustre thoughts, Angry Brownbear
- Mindless Wind, Angry Brownbear
- Screams of Silence, Angry Brownbear
- Abode Aroma, Angry Brownbear
- Worth living, gajanan mishra
- Discard your vanity, gajanan mishra
- Musings of Murmur, Angry Brownbear
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(21 November 1844 – 19 July 1926)