Edgar Albert Guest
The biggest moment in our lives was that when first he cried,
From that day unto this, for him, we've struggled side by side.
We can recount his daily deeds, and backwards we can look,
And proudly live again the time when first a step he took.
I see him trudging off to school, his mother at his side,
And when she left him there alone she hurried home and cried.
And then the sturdy chap of eight that was, I proudly see,
Who packed a little grip and took a fishing trip with me.
Among the lists of boys to go his name has now appeared;
To us has come the sacrifice that mothers all have feared;
And though we dread the parting hour when he shall march away,
We love him and the Flag too much to ask of him to stay.
His baby ways shall march with him, and every joy we've had,
Somewhere in France some day shall be a little brown-eyed lad;
A toddler and a child at school, the chum that once I knew
Shall wear our country's uniform, for they've been drafted, too.
Edgar Albert Guest's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Drafted by Edgar Albert Guest )
Did you read them?
- Yours Desire for High Sky, Aftab Alam
- Oh, The Cautious Heart, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Torrential Downpour, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- bo-tox, lee fones
- Music The Heart's Harp Sings, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Opposite Worlds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Demain, Randy Resh
- A disease......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Your Loving Words, Michael McParland
- Culture Of West Bengal, Asit Kumar Sanyal
Poem of the Day
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Wait, Galway Kinnell
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1927)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)