Do These Tears Know?
Do these tears know who made them fall?
Do these hearts know who made them recoil?
They recoiled when their shining light sank into the earth,
and the clods of earth knew not what they hold.
They hold a princely man,
a good man, blameless, upright,
a God-fearing man, discreet and wise.
translated by T. Carmi
Yehudah HaLevi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Do These Tears Know? by Yehudah HaLevi )
- It's only human, Priscilla Rose
- October...come she will., Roxanne Dubarry
- Fly Away, Gerry Legister
- Good For Nothing (Fun Poem 161), David Harris
- I Went, Vera Sidhwa
- Se(lection), Tony Adah
- Octopus, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fill Yourself, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moving Along Avenues, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Gift, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)