Do These Tears Know?
Do these tears know who made them fall?
Do these hearts know who made them recoil?
They recoiled when their shining light sank into the earth,
and the clods of earth knew not what they hold.
They hold a princely man,
a good man, blameless, upright,
a God-fearing man, discreet and wise.
translated by T. Carmi
Yehudah HaLevi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Do These Tears Know? by Yehudah HaLevi )
Poem of the Day
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- fitration bags, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Carpe Diem, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(9 April 1821 – 31 August 1867)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)