Do These Tears Know?
Do these tears know who made them fall?
Do these hearts know who made them recoil?
They recoiled when their shining light sank into the earth,
and the clods of earth knew not what they hold.
They hold a princely man,
a good man, blameless, upright,
a God-fearing man, discreet and wise.
translated by T. Carmi
Yehudah HaLevi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Do These Tears Know? by Yehudah HaLevi )
- Let us try, gajanan mishra
- An Ode to a Salmon, Athena Hood
- नागिरो, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Inner Solitude, Neela Nath
- I Don't Know, Akhtar Jawad
- My Sentimental Diversity, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Poetry, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Emerge.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Mirror, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Chasing True Dream, Mark Nixon Legaspi
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)