Dirt Roads and Sunsets
Dirt roads and sunsets and cottonwood trees,
Sunflowers tall in the warm summer breeze.
Black Angus cattle on green, grassy hills,
Empty farmhouses and run-down windmills.
Scissor-tailed flycatchers on telephone wires,
Leaping flames in the dark of the spring pasture fires.
A hawk wheeling free in the blazing blue sky,
The sound of a coyote's wild, lonesome cry.
Thunder and hail, the wind's savage gust,
The cold scent of rain in the hot summer dust.
Barbed wire and hedgeposts, the wheatfields in June,
Stars over the prairie, the warm harvest moon.
When I am old, and my best days are past,
When my mind's growing dim, and my memory fades fast,
I hope I remember the beauty of these:
And Cottonwood Trees.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dirt Roads and Sunsets by Titus Koehn )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Song Of Joys, Walt Whitman
- Fließendes Grün, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Release yourself, Elena Ioannou
- BETCHE SAID PATIENCE, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Crazy Thing, Leah Ayliffe
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman