Darkness descended at noon
Rain fell after it vowed never to fall again
Is there still honey in the hive?
Will we further see the epiphyte glued to the palm?
The largest star within the galaxy has dropped!
I am soaked amidst my own tears right now
Hard-hearted, strong-boned that I am
Tears flow like the river in my eyes
We sob even in our heart
The heavens themselves open their doors
And pour down fresh water
To assuage the drought that plague us
As the saint ceases to breathe
He looks as fresh as bitterleaf
Like a newly sprouted bitterleaf
Rich in life
But richer in death.
(Ode to Gani Fawehinmi, front-line human rights activist who ancestorized on the 5th of September,2009.)
Kolawole Ajao's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dirge by Kolawole Ajao )
- MY WAYطريقي, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Genes, jeans!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ticking Over, Yvonne Rautenbach
- In A Confused World, Edward Kofi Louis
- MY WAY, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- You need someone, hasmukh amathalal
- Organized team, hasmukh amathalal
- I Am Weird and I Am Happy, Rohit Sapra
- Beloved Alice (Square Sonnet I), Rohan Nath
- Meeting Room 13, Edward Kofi Louis