Death To The Cynics
I like to think of the cynic as the person who once was optimistic.
And was so optimistic and so let down by it
That it turned around on the fly.
The cynic is there
He shoots dialogue into
He murmurs things of trust and treason
He'll criticise and adore every season
For the same damn reasons you and I do.
The cynic in me likes to believe that despite my bid for greatness
Despite my winning lottery tickets I'll never fly in space, weightless
As good a pop song as I might write,
It'll always seem
To really make a difference.
The cynic is very fickle, can be very gentle but prefers to kill things with his words
He loves what he loves, hates what she hates and all else BE DAMNED.
This attitude comes with failed romance
And having ten jobs and from all
Yes, the best cynics are the old ones.
Because the only reason they are cynical in the end
Is an act.
As I see it
If you're cynical to death
You're not going to last very long.
You have to let the joy out sometime.
Gary Diamond's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death To The Cynics by Gary Diamond )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Francesca, Ezra Pound
Poem of the Day
- Shallum, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hey There (Don't You Stare) / The New A.., Joseph Archer
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong