Sandi J Holland
Many things can take away
The hope we have on earth.
The losing of a job, a home,
Disease, sickness, worse.
To live a life of poverty.
To stumble into drugs.
To victimize a younger child.
To search and search for love.
But there is not a hopelessness
That equals that of death.
The ending of a human life,
Which leaves us all bereft.
It is the end of everything,
A fear we cannot voice.
The final ending of a life,
And no one has a choice.
We cannot say, 'I choose to stay, '
Or, 'I will keep you here.'
We cannot stop encroaching time.
We cannot stop the fear.
But there is always every chance
To right the wrongs we do.
As long as we are living still
And certain others too.
For through these deeds we counteract
The fear of ending all.
For loving deeds go on to live
Forever, through us all.
Sandi J Holland's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
This poem is part of my chapbook 'Death Fragments: Shard 1' in which I share, through poetry and prose (mine and others) , deep and profound thoughts about dying. Why? Because as I say at the end of my chapbook, ...to accept is to explore, to wonder, to ponder and to integrate. I hope 'Death Fragments' has helped you to start your quest for peace with the inevitable, for it's not if, but when...
I believe that if at all possible, it's good to die knowing that I've helped others in some way, or tried to. I feel that my good deeds will go on to live and replicate, for as long as the world continues to stand.
Comments about this poem (Contemplating Death by Sandi J Holland )
- Mexican Food With Jesus, Mr. Nobody
- Sonnet of Pain, Sierra Staten
- Particle Of Breath, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- थिरिँ बिरिँ x5, Ronjoy Brahma
- Come Come, Tango Tango
- God Teaches Geology (M-F), Mr. Nobody
- I am Running Faster, Akhtar Jawad
- (समनि नायथाय) गुफुर उखुन्दैनि खुवाया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alien Encounter, Robert Eckstein
- >>Bad Fruits, Abdul Wahab
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1886 - 1967)