Ch 01 Manner Of Kings Story 09
An Arab king was sick in his state of decrepitude so that all
hopes of life were cut off. A trooper entered the gate with the good
news that a certain fort had been conquered by the good luck of the
king, that the enemies had been captured and that the whole population
of the district had been reduced to obedience. The king heaved a
deep sigh and replied: 'This message is not for me but for my enemies,
namely the heirs of the kingdom.'
I spent my precious life in hopes, alas!
That every desire of my heart will be fulfilled.
My wishes were realized, but to what profit? Since
There is no hope that my past life will return.
The hand of fate has struck the drum of departure.
O my two eyes, bid farewell to the head.
O palm, forearm, and arm of my hand,
All take leave from each other.
Death, the foe of my desires, has fallen on me
For the last time, O friends. Pass near me.
My life has elapsed in ignorance.
I have done nothing, be on your guard.
Saadi Shirazi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ch 01 Manner Of Kings Story 09 by Saadi Shirazi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Are You Okay?, Michael P. McParland
- Are You Mad At Me?, Michael P. McParland
- Anyone But You?, Michael P. McParland
- Another Year, Michael P. McParland
- Another Wish, Michael P. McParland
- Cop Killers and Killer Cops, Is It Poetry
- Another Night (Off To Sleep), Michael P. McParland
- Another Day, Michael P. McParland
- Hands on Hips, Mae AC.
- Hands in Pockets, Mae AC.