Catharsis in Poetry
Gone are the days when poetry had many rules.
Today it’s a serious hobby indulged by many fools.
No matter what month, day, date or time
no matter whether there’s form, rhythm or rhyme,
everyone writes these days – young and old
eagerly waiting for the heart to unfold
a plethora of emotions – positive and negative.
The mind these days is truly a fugitive.
Themes in the earlier centuries would be limited
But today themes are plenty and unlimited.
The likes of Wordsworth, Frost and Blake
You’ll find in poetry websites when you rake.
Writing poetry is so much fun and cathartic
whether you’re at the Equator or in the Arctic.
When you write about your feelings blue,
your friends read and try to comfort you, too.
Hey! All you folks out there -
don’t just brood, stand and stare.
Just get that diary and pencil out
and pour your mind out like water from a spout.
Don’t worry about form, rhythm or rhyme
and wait not for a more appropriate time.
Just ink all of your thoughts from your heart and mind
without waiting for a better theme to find.
Many thoughts from your mind will make a literary ocean
And you’ll find peace in the midst of all this commotion.
So wake up and discover the hidden poet in you
If I can do this, you can do it, too.
Gita Ashok's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Catharsis in Poetry by Gita Ashok )
- 부산(부산) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《부산(부산) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 창원 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●창원 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 창원(창원) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘창원 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 창원 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙창원 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 창원 ANMA¿０１０¿５９３３¿０４３７¿창원 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 창원 ANMA MASSAJE 010 ５９４６ ０３７７창원(창원) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 창원(창원) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《창원(창원) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●표항 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항(표항) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘표항 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙표항 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Minor Bird, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)