There once was a six year-old little girl that grew-up with a bully.
She didn't think it was funny.
Being the one that was bullied,
But, her bully was part of the family.
He quickly became her enemy.
She was five-years younger than him.
He was tall and slim.
He could throw a punch that would land her on the floor.
There were many times she wanted to run out the front door.
And keep running.
He was so sneaky and cunning.
When, she would fall asleep at night she dreamed she was a butterfly.
She dreamed she could fly!
Dreaming that no one could catch her,
Then one day he got with his friends planning her soon destruction.
He gave the others complete instruction.
They got her out of the house to play a game.
Not knowing she was part of the bully game.
She was forced out in the street.
She stood out there with her bare feet.
Trying to get out of the street, they pushed her from one side to the other.
Not letting her through.
Both sides of the street blocked.
On her block!
As a car came flying through, with a drunk driver behind the wheel.
Her life was in danger.
And it wasn't by a stranger.
They said, she skidded fifteen feet on the concrete.
It was all because of the plans of her older brother.
She didn't die.
This is no lie.
See, God had plans for her life.
In which she would become a wife and mother.
It's been many days since then.
But, when I think about then,
I wonder how six kids including my brother, could plan to do that to another?
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Bullying by Patricia Kelley )
- Grace Me, Michael McParland
- 168., John Westlake
- The Stuff We Are Made Of., Tony Adah
- remembering the wedding Anniversary.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Fishing For An Appropriate Taste, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Let us not be, hasmukh amathalal
- Is Life?, Neela Nath
- Star Tree, douglas scotney
- The Road to Heaven is Only One, Dr John Celes
- Capable and real, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)