Boy Breaking Glass
To Marc Crawford
from whom the commission
Whose broken window is a cry of art
(success, that winks aware
as elegance, as a treasonable faith)
is raw: is sonic: is old-eyed première.
Our beautiful flaw and terrible ornament.
Our barbarous and metal little man.
“I shall create! If not a note, a hole.
If not an overture, a desecration.”
Full of pepper and light
and Salt and night and cargoes.
“Don’t go down the plank
if you see there’s no extension.
Each to his grief, each to
his loneliness and fidgety revenge.
Nobody knew where I was and now I am no longer there.”
The only sanity is a cup of tea.
The music is in minors.
Each one other
is having different weather.
“It was you, it was you who threw away my name!
And this is everything I have for me.”
Who has not Congress, lobster, love, luau,
the Regency Room, the Statue of Liberty,
runs. A sloppy amalgamation.
A hymn, a snare, and an exceeding sun.
Gwendolyn Brooks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Boy Breaking Glass by Gwendolyn Brooks )
- Floppy, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- -I Do Not Only Loving You-, Ali Sabry
- -How Can I Sleep Honey & I Left You Lone.., Ali Sabry
- - I love you so much from all my heart-, Ali Sabry
- - Come With Me My Lovely Princess-, Ali Sabry
- - I See You All The Rays Of The Sun-, Ali Sabry
- - You Taught Me A Lot Of Love-, Ali Sabry
- - When I Look At The Moon I Remember You.., Ali Sabry
- - When I Walk Alone In The Night I See Y.., Ali Sabry
- - There Isn't Impossible In Dreams & Love-, Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Stefanie Fontker
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow