Boy Breaking Glass
To Marc Crawford
from whom the commission
Whose broken window is a cry of art
(success, that winks aware
as elegance, as a treasonable faith)
is raw: is sonic: is old-eyed première.
Our beautiful flaw and terrible ornament.
Our barbarous and metal little man.
“I shall create! If not a note, a hole.
If not an overture, a desecration.”
Full of pepper and light
and Salt and night and cargoes.
“Don’t go down the plank
if you see there’s no extension.
Each to his grief, each to
his loneliness and fidgety revenge.
Nobody knew where I was and now I am no longer there.”
The only sanity is a cup of tea.
The music is in minors.
Each one other
is having different weather.
“It was you, it was you who threw away my name!
And this is everything I have for me.”
Who has not Congress, lobster, love, luau,
the Regency Room, the Statue of Liberty,
runs. A sloppy amalgamation.
A hymn, a snare, and an exceeding sun.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Boy Breaking Glass by Gwendolyn Brooks )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- My Coequal, Naveed Akram
- Gajanan Mishra - A Fellow Poet, Hardik Vaidya
- Energetic Shift, Seema Chowdhury
- The Best Time is Now, Seema Chowdhury
- Wings of Imagination, Seema Chowdhury
- Do Failure Analysis, Seema Chowdhury
- Why I Am Being Misunderstood?, Geetha Jayakumar
- Stand on the Deck of Life, Seema Chowdhury
- Immortality, Hardik Vaidya
- Juggling Act, Seema Chowdhury