David Lewis Paget
Blue Mountain Coffee
I take my seat at the Golden Grove
And watch the waitress, Xu,
She's sweet and pert, and her shortened skirt
Shows off a dimple or two;
She brings the menu, a pretty smile,
I get to the "Wo xiang yao...."
But she shakes her head, before I've said
What I want, would like, or how!
She points to the meal I didn't want,
I crease my ‘lao wai' brow,
"No no - Lan shan" is my one response,
"Lan shan kafei, niu nai..."
Do you have it? - this is a coffee shop?
All I want is a cup - that's wrong? '
She rolls her eyes, looks up to the skies
And mutters: ‘Wo bu dong! '
I check my book, have I overlooked
Some word, some phrase - a tone?
‘This is a ‘Kafei Dian? ' I say,
She brings me a chicken bone,
Immersed in water that they call soup,
I feel a sweat coming on,
I wave my hand, ‘bu xing, bu xing, '
She mutters a ‘Wo bu dong! '
Can you say ‘Yes? ' Can you say ‘No? '
She shakes her head, ‘Mei you! '
The sweat breaks out on my fevered brow,
‘Ni ting dong ma, ' I go.
She smiles so sweet, she shakes her head,
She never will understand.
"Ni lan shan kafei or not, " I cry,
She mutters ‘Ni man man kan! '
"That's it, I'm off, " I shout out loud,
‘Wo yiao zou le, " I roar,
She follows my every move as I
Make tracks for the outer door,
I pause and turn as I reach the street
To see her standing - then:
"Zai jian! ' I snort, but she smiles at me:
"Goodbye - Please come again! "
Glossary: - Wo xiang yao - I would like
Lao wai - foreigner
Lan shan - Blue Mountain Kafei - coffee
Niu nai - milk Wo bu dong - I don't understand
Kafei Dian - Coffee Shop
bu xing - you can't/don't/ do this to me
Mei you - nothing.
Ni ting dong ma - Can you understand?
Ni man man kan - take your time.
Wo yao zou le - I want to leave. Zai jian - Goodbye.
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blue Mountain Coffee by David Lewis Paget )
- Elfin song, Emmanuel George Cefai
- To Have To Worry, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I heard these verses in a dream, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The centuries pass, my friend, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I heard a violin, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Epitaph on John Rankine, Robert Burns
- When the rains fall, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Whistle: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- I Was Done With The World But My Heart R.., Melikhaya Zagagana
- revolutionary, Tinashe mulambo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Frog and The Nightingale, Vikram Seth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)