Colin Ian Jeffery
BLOOD RED POPPIES
During the battle of the Somme, France,1916, the British sustained 60,000 casualties on the first day. Torrential rains turned the battlefield into a quagmire. In one month the Allies advanced five miles at the cost of 450,000 German.200,000 French and 420,000 British lives. I lost two uncles
Blood red poppies sway
Over silent fields
Where birds no longer sing.
Once big guns roared
And young men
Suffered terror in the mud.
Chaplains searched the carnage for God
Finding him gassed and bloody
Crucified upon the wire
One poppy lost among the thousands.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (BLOOD RED POPPIES by Colin Ian Jeffery )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Get honestly, hasmukh amathalal
- In So Many Faces I Seek Love, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Surroundings, Somanathan Iyer
- The Crowd, Tony Adah
- Amen (ए'मेन), Ronjoy Brahma
- बबि अनजालि, Bahadur Basumatary
- Witchy lady, Clara Keiper
- Birds, Tony Adah
- come, come to the light, let us all bathe., RIC S. BASTASA
- dignity finally comes in the form of a r.., RIC S. BASTASA