The elephant stood mighty tall,
He really made me stare!
Against that giant, I'd feel small,
Believe me, I'd take care!
I'm not the sort to take a chance
Or follow some new whim
And so, when he chose to advance,
I didn't run to him!
In fact, I turned, then ran off fast,
Then ran on faster still,
I didn't know how long I'd last,
I ran till I felt ill...
Then I looked back and there he was,
A few yards off, no more!
'Big Daddy' didn't look that cross,
No way could I be sure...
And so I prayed, just like a child,
Please God, I'm not that brave,
That elephant seems mighty wild,
Please God, just keep me safe!
The elephant then turned around
And gently walked away...
Though I was trembling on the ground,
That really made my day!
Denis Martindale, copyright, March 2014.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting by
Stephen Gayford, nb Google search gayfordgallery.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Big Daddy! by Denis Martindale )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Martin Chuzzlewit II, douglas scotney
- In my head., Jessica Amburgey
- Groove Of A New Sound, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Depths Of Remembering, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 185, John Westlake
- Wash over me., Jessica Amburgey
- Martin Chuzzlewit, douglas scotney
- Love Note 18, Michael P. McParland
- A Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Loving Free - Falling, RoseAnn V. Shawiak