The elephant stood mighty tall,
He really made me stare!
Against that giant, I'd feel small,
Believe me, I'd take care!
I'm not the sort to take a chance
Or follow some new whim
And so, when he chose to advance,
I didn't run to him!
In fact, I turned, then ran off fast,
Then ran on faster still,
I didn't know how long I'd last,
I ran till I felt ill...
Then I looked back and there he was,
A few yards off, no more!
'Big Daddy' didn't look that cross,
No way could I be sure...
And so I prayed, just like a child,
Please God, I'm not that brave,
That elephant seems mighty wild,
Please God, just keep me safe!
The elephant then turned around
And gently walked away...
Though I was trembling on the ground,
That really made my day!
Denis Martindale, copyright, March 2014.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting by
Stephen Gayford, nb Google search gayfordgallery.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Big Daddy! by Denis Martindale )
- strange is the mindset!, Somanathan Iyer
- DREAMS........., Saturday Chikezie Promise
- For My Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- On pins and needles, gajanan mishra
- Soul's Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Images Of Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- لماذا, ala rhmn
- Down below, GRANT FRASER
- لماذا, ala rhmn
- Branches Reaching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Prayer Before Birth, Louis Macneice
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)