The elephant stood mighty tall,
He really made me stare!
Against that giant, I'd feel small,
Believe me, I'd take care!
I'm not the sort to take a chance
Or follow some new whim
And so, when he chose to advance,
I didn't run to him!
In fact, I turned, then ran off fast,
Then ran on faster still,
I didn't know how long I'd last,
I ran till I felt ill...
Then I looked back and there he was,
A few yards off, no more!
'Big Daddy' didn't look that cross,
No way could I be sure...
And so I prayed, just like a child,
Please God, I'm not that brave,
That elephant seems mighty wild,
Please God, just keep me safe!
The elephant then turned around
And gently walked away...
Though I was trembling on the ground,
That really made my day!
Denis Martindale, copyright, March 2014.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting by
Stephen Gayford, nb Google search gayfordgallery.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Big Daddy! by Denis Martindale )
- forgetting he-huckleberry, I ring-around.., Harindhar Reddy
- Ninja Nejla, Muzaffer Akin
- Design of Life, Rohit Sapra
- My Dear, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Daisies, Eugene Levich
- A Description Of Mercy, Giles Fletcher The Younger
- Until You Came Along, Shakeela Kingzley
- If you forget, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Hear me, hear me,, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Just few minutes., Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)