The surface of the sea
Chipped into hollows by the wind
Waves whitecaps back at me.
I am fixed ashore, pinned
To a static spot to watch the dance
Of liquid edges roiled in ecstasy
At the caress of the air to glance
On surface sensitivity, emoting fantasy.
Below this infinite quadrille,
Untouched by playful atmosphere,
A steady blue-green note does fill
The drowned eye and the ear
With the silent sound of the deeps
Wherein shadowed predators
In lazy body twists and snakey leaps
Exert the rights of conquerors.
Shoals of shining scales flash in this night,
Coordinate in disciplined precision.
Edge on dim, then suddenly all bright,
In single mind decision.
More alien than something from the stars,
A nest of tentacles makes its way on bottom sand
To touch and test all fissures. Nothing mars
Its intensive curiosity, the tentacle more agile than the hand.
Shell arthropods on needle legs with pincer tips
Troop in pizzicato caravans,
Antennae waving gaily in swoops and dips,
Surveyed from above by hungry clans.
Outside the traveled paths
Beneath the gloom of submerged cliffs
Far in time and space from human wraths
A pirate skull stares at underwater riffs
Which play and replay quantum terrors.
Doubloons in dotted lines scribble on the sand
Tales of violence and greedy errors.
Now lies in peace beyond desire and demand.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Below by Jan Sand )
- Miep - A Woman of Courage, David Clinch
- Exam Time (for the girl who struggled), David Clinch
- A Cottage Hill, Naveed Khalid
- Keep Me Moored to the Harbour, David Clinch
- It's the One in the Suit Who's Firing th.., David Clinch
- मानो गाबदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Birthday Woman, David Clinch
- A Warning from History, David Clinch
- blood around the cuticle of us, Mandolyn ...
- She Has The Will To Succeed, Ronell Warren Alman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Family I love, Kristina Riggs
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)