Before The Bedroom Window
Pigeons two and blackbirds three
crab tree red and ripe
sweetness for all to see
before the bedroom window.
Spring miles away waits
towering cloud and western wind
A wild rose out of season
shivers in the border
came out for Chritmas,
pink and tiny, flowering
shaming me in woollen hat,
January not my favourite.
Refilled feeders and fat-ball snacks
finches fighting sparrows
and yes, the robin's there
holly berries long since gone,
ivy berries too,
stolen by the blackbird
who clambers in the rose
laying claim within the thorny tangle
safe from cats and courting cocks.
Twenty years this scene repeats
tunes the same, colours never fade
master-pieces hung about,
primrose, daffodil, an acropetal
succession none compete, conjoined
until Michaelmas daisies fade
and Christmas comes again.
John Rickell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Before The Bedroom Window by John Rickell )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Rain, Joseph Paintsil
- Haiku, Noah Body
- Capitalist List Esteem Apex Peak Cut Down, Terence G. Craddock
- A million sparkling rainbows, Nick Kler
- selah, don't say la la la..., Mandolyn ...
- Ego Rulers Built Massive Monuments, Terence G. Craddock
- Capitalistic Perceived Important People, Terence G. Craddock
- here's an itty bitty bite, Mandolyn ...
- Remember Me (Dedicated 2 those that have.., Enyinwa Okechukwu Enyinwa
- school lunch woes and whoa it's healthy!, Mandolyn ...