From the hollow trees in their native home
them old fellows cut the honeycomb.
On honey and little white grubs they fed,
'cause them young bees was blackfeller's bread.
That's why they was so mighty and strong
in their native home in Currarong.
An' them old fellers' drink was honey-bul;
honey and water, a coolamon full.
Naked through the bush they went,
an' never knew what sickness meant,
them native bees could do you no harm,
they'd crawl all over your honey-smeared arm.
But them Eyetalian bees, they'd bung
your eyes right up. When we was young
we used to rob their honey-trees,
Savage! they'd fetch your blood, Them bees
would zoom an' zing an' chase a feller
from Bombaderry to Bodalla
Well Old Uncle Ninah, and Billy Bulloo
Old Jacky Mumbulla, King Merriman too,
them fierce old fellers, they're all gone now.
An' the wild honey's still in the gumtree bough.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bees by Roland Robinson )
- For every smile thus there the stars of .., Raymond Sawyer
- he Gift, david kush
- I'm always like this, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Soar Where Those Poor Of Faith Reside, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- He told the officers, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- To touch a star is to be ouch with respe.., Raymond Sawyer
- Her enchanted delight, Amgad Samy
- my glasses, Bull Hawking
- 64 and deaf, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- For every star that one see is the star .., Raymond Sawyer
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- November, Thomas Hood
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(1 February 1927)