From the hollow trees in their native home
them old fellows cut the honeycomb.
On honey and little white grubs they fed,
'cause them young bees was blackfeller's bread.
That's why they was so mighty and strong
in their native home in Currarong.
An' them old fellers' drink was honey-bul;
honey and water, a coolamon full.
Naked through the bush they went,
an' never knew what sickness meant,
them native bees could do you no harm,
they'd crawl all over your honey-smeared arm.
But them Eyetalian bees, they'd bung
your eyes right up. When we was young
we used to rob their honey-trees,
Savage! they'd fetch your blood, Them bees
would zoom an' zing an' chase a feller
from Bombaderry to Bodalla
Well Old Uncle Ninah, and Billy Bulloo
Old Jacky Mumbulla, King Merriman too,
them fierce old fellers, they're all gone now.
An' the wild honey's still in the gumtree bough.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bees by Roland Robinson )
- Saying Goodbye to Very Young Children, John Updike
- In Extremis, John Updike
- Earth's Period, Arno Le Roux
- Details on attack, Nassy Fesharaki
- Epigram—Thanks for a National Victory, Robert Burns
- Dog's Death, John Updike
- Verses on a Parting Kiss, Robert Burns
- Yon Wild Mossy Mountains, Robert Burns
- Epigram on an Innkeeper ("The Marqu.., Robert Burns
- On Chloris being ill, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1924 - 2000)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)