LIBERAL Nature did dispence
To all things Arms for their defence;
And some she arms with sin'ewy force,
And some with swiftness in the course;
Some with hard Hoofs, or forked claws,
And some with Horns, or tusked jaws.
And some with Scales, and some with Wings,
And some with Teeth, and some with Stings.
Wisdom to Man she did afford,
Wisdom for Shield, and Wit for Sword.
What to beauteous Woman-kind,
What Arms, what Armour has she'assigne'd?
Beauty is both; for with the Faire
What Arms, what Armour can compare?
What Steel, what Gold, or Diamond,
More Impassible is found?
And yet what Flame, what Lightning ere
So great an Active force did bear?
They are all weapon, and they dart
Like Porcupines from every part.
Who can, alas, their strength express,
Arm'd when they themselves undress,
Cap a pe* with Nakedness?
Abraham Cowley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beauty by Abraham Cowley )
Did you read them?
- Powerful you are, hasmukh amathalal
- Hate me Not- -, Gexg Lalnuna
- Openly dare, hasmukh amathalal
- Rain On Me, Kewayne Wadley
- Timeless Emotions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Charcoal Sketch, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- It's End, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Feisty seed of love, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Precious Corral Of your Heart, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The son's gratitude, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(c. 600 BCE)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)