This girlchild was born as usual
and presented dolls that did pee-pee
and miniature GE stoves and irons
and wee lipsticks the color of cherry candy.
Then in the magic of puberty, a classmate said:
You have a great big nose and fat legs.
She was healthy, tested intelligent,
possessed strong arms and back,
abundant sexual drive and manual dexterity.
She went to and fro apologizing.
Everyone saw a fat nose on thick legs.
She was advised to play coy,
exhorted to come on hearty,
exercise, diet, smile and wheedle.
Her good nature wore out
like a fan belt.
So she cut off her nose and her legs
and offered them up.
In the casket displayed on satin she lay
with the undertaker's cosmetics painted on,
a turned-up putty nose,
dressed in a pink and white nightie.
Doesn't she look pretty? everyone said.
Consummation at last.
To every woman a happy ending.
Marge Piercy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Barbie Doll by Marge Piercy )
- BE LIKE CHEETAH, Aravind Bhargava
- Hell bent, hasmukh amathalal
- Beautiful stranger, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lynda Bellingham worthily and fondly rem.., Stanley Collymore
- From the Summit, Valsa George
- The Future Of Voices, Peter Jay Shippy
- Only few can medicae, hasmukh amathalal
- Corner, Aparna Chatterjee
- Smile, Ahmed Tawfik
- The Chosed One, Peter Jay Shippy
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)