LAST sea-thing dredged by sailor Time from Space,
Are you a drift Sargasso, where the West
In halcyon calm rebuilds her fatal nest?
Or Delos of a coming Sun-God’s race?
Are you for Light, and trimmed, with oil in place,
Or but a Will o’ Wisp on marshy quest?
A new demesne for Mammon to infest?
Or lurks millennial Eden ’neath your face?
The cenotaphs of species dead elsewhere
That in your limits leap and swim and fly,
Or trail uncanny harp-strings from your trees,
Mix omens with the auguries that dare
To plant the Cross upon your forehead sky,
A virgin helpmate Ocean at your knees.
Bernard O'Dowd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Australia by Bernard O'Dowd )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Not Yet, I Am Krakatoa
- दङ आंहा सिमां, Ronjoy Brahma
- He Was Who He Was, Frieda Risvold
- CPI(M) Comrades & Cadres, The Muscle-men, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The CPI(M) Only Knows Its Men, Only See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- नोँनि थाखायनो आं मेगन मोदै जानांबाय सना, Bahadur Basumatary
- Many Third-class Men As University Teach.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Marvelous Floating Bookshop and Virt.., mary douglas
- So Many Things, Neela Nath
- Summer Rhapsody in Blue Raspberry Circa .., mary douglas