LAST sea-thing dredged by sailor Time from Space,
Are you a drift Sargasso, where the West
In halcyon calm rebuilds her fatal nest?
Or Delos of a coming Sun-God’s race?
Are you for Light, and trimmed, with oil in place,
Or but a Will o’ Wisp on marshy quest?
A new demesne for Mammon to infest?
Or lurks millennial Eden ’neath your face?
The cenotaphs of species dead elsewhere
That in your limits leap and swim and fly,
Or trail uncanny harp-strings from your trees,
Mix omens with the auguries that dare
To plant the Cross upon your forehead sky,
A virgin helpmate Ocean at your knees.
Bernard O'Dowd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Australia by Bernard O'Dowd )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- Haiku 'leaves ', miken newman
- Much more powerful, gajanan mishra
- Lahoo, Lahoo Ek Dastaan, Yasmeen Khan
- Thoughts While Waiting in the ER, Donal Mahoney
- Graduate school first semester: so here .., Cheryl Savageau
- Toll of human safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I am not ready to say I am unfortunate, gajanan mishra
- Yesterday's Snow, Marilyn Lott
- Ego, Denise Duhamel
- Life and Heaven, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..