Ask What I Shall Give Thee (III)
Behold the throne of grace!
The promise calls me near;
There Jesus shows a smiling face,
And waits to answer prayer.
That rich atoning blood,
Which sprinkled round I see;
Provides for those who come to God,
An all-prevailing plea.
My soul ask what thou wilt,
Thou canst not be too bold;
Since his own blood for thee he spilt,
What else can he withhold.
Beyond thy utmost wants
His love and pow'r can bless;
To praying souls he always grants,
More than they can express.
Since 'tis the Lord's command,
My mouth I open wide;
Lord open thou thy bounteous hand,
That I may be supplied.
Thine image, Lord, bestow,
Thy presence and thy love;
I ask to serve thee here below,
And reign with thee above.
Teach me to live by faith,
Conform my will to thine;
Let me victorious be in death,
And then in glory shine.
If Thou these blessings give,
And wilt my portion be;
Cheerful the world's poor toys I leave,
To them who know not thee.
John Newton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ask What I Shall Give Thee (III) by John Newton )
- Evermore, Sheehan Patrick Augustine
- A lovely even for the stars of respect., Raymond Sawyer
- Silence Passed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I am thankful for my children Ethan, and.., Sagrario Garcia
- The universe is conspiring in our favor, Sagrario Garcia
- A Disagreement, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- O Death Oh Loser, Adeosun Olamide
- How Many Things Are Still Left (The End .., Stephen Warren Williams
- Will I With It Sit, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- groundnut seller, umoh cyril
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)