Are There Believers?
We professed divine mandate
We speak for the Most High
God's mind is our minds
We are adept in memorising verses
Recitation of holy sciptures is our pride
We qoute verses upon verses
Our appearance is sanctimonious
We are authorities in piety
Our views are Godly
Our tongues eloquently preaches virtue
We are truly the angels of God
That seats with the cherubims
Eating spiritual foods with seraphims.
Behold! What we are outside
Is different from our inside.
What our lips professed
Varies with what are confessed.
We say peace where none exists.
We annihilate each others
In the name of our faiths.
We are intolerant of each other.
Greed, selfishness and avariciousness
Are our three square meals.
We kill in the name of God
As if God is unable to fight.
We seat on the judgemental throne
Adjucating on God's behalf.
We are just fake believers
Maquerading as true believers.
Where are then are true believers?
Babatunde Aremu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Are There Believers? by Babatunde Aremu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- "These doodles help me...", Jeff Gangwer
- "In a manner of speaking...", Jeff Gangwer
- "Can I just...? ", Jeff Gangwer
- SLEEPING NIGHT, Egbe Chris
- Doorways / Points of Access, Jeff Gangwer
- "...on the hook", Jeff Gangwer
- Pioneers and Parade Floats, Jeff Gangwer
- The Muse, Midnights Voice
- Double Standards, Terry Dawson
- Goodbye, Rockford, Michael Shutt