I sensed the dance of clouds and windy drawl,
fast moving marionettes of moonlight,
conceived they passed the crannies of the soul,
and intersected solitude forthright.
The dusk descended when 'Archangel' crossed
the sight of island men, remote like wraith
and huge the blackened ship's displacement bossed
the nautilus stunned stares and childhood's faith.
Monotonous the bagpipes led to trance,
- autonomous the ship's insistent horn,
invited us to some unworldly dance
the ship regaled; that stung our souls like thorn.
We danced inside the rain while ghost bag pipes
were interlacing sea's baptismal notes,
- betrothal waved the blue and white flag stripes,
- like coffins cradled round the wooden boats.
Embarked were we, according to their song,
thence sailed infinity upon the brines,
tho' Harpies from the ghostly mists, along,
the Hades' treated us, communion wines.
Giorgio Venetopoulos's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (- Archangel by Giorgio Venetopoulos )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Cold Night In Silence, Lilly Emery
- The Possession of Love (Section 8 of Thi.., rajendran muthiah
- A BROKEN DREAM حلم مئطوش - حلم مكسور, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Valentine, mary douglas
- Remembering Her Worth, F. J. Thomas
- Tunnels, Mark Arvizu
- Stop, Is It Poetry
- O virgin chic..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- गु बाजिबाय, Ronjoy Brahma
- A sense of destiny, Mark Heathcote