An Unusual And Unusually Wet Wednesday
Wednesday’s child is full of woe?
No. Not though the sky is high
With clouds black as a crow’s wing
Bidding to wet-blanket joy.
Trying to clamp down the lid
Of the pot where the evening
Is cooking. It can’t win through.
Not this damp day. Nor with these three kids.
The boys, the boys….
Teeming fine nights like this one sluice and shine.
Here evening reels across torrential streets
And gleaming streams of surging gladness run.
Now darkness is grilled and spiced, precise and
Keen. Glee, clear and clean, turns the spit and burns
Sadness off over a sizzling griddle
Heated and barbecued, seasoned with wit.
And books play a nocturne, a waltz (thank you
Szopen) . Thought sings, hangs loose, or tautened, screws
Around the table where three minds open,
Nourish one another and find life good.
We have dined on more than food,
Lapped up more (and less) than wine.
Hands reach across white linen.
Eyes are creasing, words piling,
Trembling, towering, high. And tumbling.
An apotheosis, this is, in
And out of blithe insinuation.
Ideas smile as they climb and fall.
A triangle of kindness
A circle of much more than mirth
Let it rain. See the floods flowing
Note the broken brollies blowing,
Now hats are flying, caught, then Gone.
In this sparkling lasting second,
In this sweet time, watch the water
Rise as steam, an offering
To the disregarded clouds
Warmed and simmered, made benign by
Friendship formed and hearts glowing.
Richard Blanch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Unusual And Unusually Wet Wednesday by Richard Blanch )
- 3, Smoky Hoss
- Soul Holes, Smoky Hoss
- Magic of Indian Democracy, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- ...and am loving it, Manonton Dalan
- There is yet Hope, Smoky Hoss
- Beauty And The Beholder, hugh everard
- Black Rose, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Joyful Is Life With Colours, Rohit Sapra
- Ferguson and Law Enforcement, Is It Poetry
- आज फिर तेरी याद आई हैं, Kahil Mehar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)