An Empty Room
'THIS is the room where Pinksie died';
So runs the writing there on the wall.
The world outside is a golden tide
Of light, but here the shadows fall.
And who was Pinksie — a babe or wife?
A girl, I think, in her laughing teens,
Who passed away from the feast of life
When boys and girls are kings and queens.
I like to think that she laughed at whiles,
Her eyes alight with the imps of fun,
And knew no sorrow but such as smiles
The moment after the hurt is done.
They named her Pinksie, I have no doubt,
Because of the rich, soft blush she wore;
The roses paled ere they bore her out,
A slim child-figure, through yonder door.
She passed in the joy of her early bloom
To wide, dark realms where no planets roll.
And I write these lines in the empty room
Where Pinksie died. God rest her soul!
Roderic Quinn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Empty Room by Roderic Quinn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1924 - 2000)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A drop fell on the apple tree, Emily Dickinson
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Grandma's Attic...(Prose), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Diana's Pool, Julyn Pride
- For My Pen, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Villanelle: When countries slaughter mai.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Coywolf, Julyn Pride
- December Walk, Julyn Pride
- Conundrums Consequence..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Whats and Whats, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- No Answers To Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Angelwalk 2, Mr. Spock