Walter Savage Landor
Alciphron and Leucippe
An ancient chestnut’s blossoms threw
Their heavy odour over two:
Leucippe, it is said, was one;
The other, then, was Alciphron.
‘Come, come! why should we stand beneath?’
This hollow tree’s unwholesome breath?’
Said Alciphron, ‘here’s not a blade
Of grass or moss, and scanty shade.
Come; it is just the hour to rove
In the lone dingle shepherds love;
There, straight and tall, the hazel twig
Divides the crookàed rock-held fig,
O’er the blue pebbles where the rill
In winter runs and may run still.
Come then, while fresh and calm the air,
And while the shepherds are not there.’
Leucippe. But I would rather go when they
Sit round about and sing and play.
Then why so hurry me? for you
Like play and song, and shepherds too.
Alciphron. I like the shepherds very well,
And song and play, as you can tell.
But there is play, I sadly fear,
And song I would not have you hear.
Leucippe. What can it be? What can it be?
Alciphron. To you may none of them repeat
The play that you have play’d with me,
The song that made your bosom beat.
Leucippe. Don’t keep your arm about my waist.
Alciphron. Might you not stumble?
Leucippe. Well then, do.
But why are we in all this haste?
Alciphron. To sing.
Leucippe. Alas! and not play too?
Walter Savage Landor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alciphron and Leucippe by Walter Savage Landor )
- Resurrection, Vladimir Holan
- How Do They Catch Cobras?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Remember Me, Margaret Mead
- Mechanical Life, Mechanical World, Every.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A child is, Helena Sinervo
- If I Should Die, Thomas Gray
- Her First Week, Sharon Olds
- The Countryside Joker Said It, Let Me Do.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Landmine, Naveed Akram
- I am in fire, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)