Against The Evidence
As I reach to close each book
lying open on my desk, it leaps up
to snap at my fingers. My legs
won’t hold me, I must sit down.
My fingers pain me
where the thick leaves snapped together
at my touch.
All my life
I’ve held books in my hands
like children, carefully turning
their pages and straightening out
their creases. I use books
almost apologetically. I believe
I often think their thoughts for them.
Reading, I never know where theirs leave off
and mine begin. I am so much alone
in the world, I can observe the stars
or study the breeze, I can count the steps
on a stair on the way up or down,
and I can look at another human being
and get a smile, knowing
it is for the sake of politeness.
Nothing must be said of estrangement
among the human race and yet
nothing is said at all
because of that.
But no book will help either.
I stroke my desk,
its wood so smooth, so patient and still.
I set a typewriter on its surface
and begin to type
to tell myself my troubles.
Against the evidence, I live by choice.
David Ignatow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Against The Evidence by David Ignatow )
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Know Why Old People Are Sometimes Very.., Shalom Freedman
- Speaking Loudly, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Sure, Michael McParland
- Into The Air, Robert Eckstein
- Loving you, Jesus James Llorico
- Fly away, Sagrario Garcia
- Killing Me Softly, Electric Lady
- Shh...I'm Hiding, Shrey Anand
- Faith in Christ!, Shaila Touchton
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1927)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)