A Valuable Gift
Old Father Time, one day
In his study, so they say,
Was indulging in a surreptitious nap,
When from his drowsy dreams
He was wakened, as it seems,
By a timid but persistent little rap.
He yawned and rubbed his eyes
In indolent surprise,
Then slowly he arose from where he sat;
He opened wide his door,
And nearly tumbled o'er
The figure that stood waiting on the mat.
A tiny little dog,
With excitement all agog,
And angry eyes that seemed to flash and glower.
His manner was polite,
But he said, 'I claim my right!
And I've called, sir, to demand of you my hour.'
'Your what?' the old man said,
As he shook his puzzled head;
And the pertinacious puppy spoke with force:
'Well, sir, they often say,
'Every dog must have his day,'
So a puppy ought to have an hour, of course!'
The old man shook with glee,
But he said obligingly,
'The dog days are all gone, I grieve to say;
But since you've come so far,
And so mannerly you are,
I'll give you just an hour--to get away.'
Carolyn Wells's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Valuable Gift by Carolyn Wells )
- Love Speaks in Silence, Paul Sebastian
- The Ideal Wife, Paul Sebastian
- Then ever it would really you are not e.., Yuri Starostin
- Judicially, hasmukh amathalal
- ACCENT, Terry Collett
- Passion, Suresh Dogra
- Joy and peace, gajanan mishra
- Light, Suresh Dogra
- No purpose yet, hasmukh amathalal
- A Bit of Clarity- Finally, Andy Caldwell
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Parody on “A Psalm of Life”, Oliver Wendell Holmes
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Our Life and Four Seasons, Vasco M. Resendes
- The Unborn, Sharon Olds
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)