Sir John Suckling
A Supplement of an Imperfect Copy of Verses of Mr. William
One of her hands one of her cheeks lay under,
Cosening the pillow of a lawful kiss,
Which therefore swell'd, and seem'd to part asunder,
As angry to be robb'd of such a bliss!
The one look'd pale and for revenge did long,
While t'other blush'd, 'cause it had done the wrong.
Out of the bed the other fair hand was
On a green satin quilt, whose perfect white
Look'd like a daisy in a field of grass,
And show'd like unmelt snow unto the sight;
There lay this pretty perdue, safe to keep
The rest o' th' body that lay fast asleep.
Her eyes (and therefore it was night), close laid
Strove to imprison beauty till the morn:
But yet the doors were of such fine stuff made,
That it broke through, and show'd itself in scorn,
Throwing a kind of light about the place,
Which turn'd to smiles still, as't came near her face.
Her beams, which some dull men call'd hair, divided,
Part with her cheeks, part with her lips did sport.
But these, as rude, her breath put by still; some
Wiselier downwards sought, but falling short,
Curled back in rings, and seemed to turn again
To bite the part so unkindly held them in.
Sir John Suckling's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Supplement of an Imperfect Copy of Verses of Mr. William by Sir John Suckling )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- On Taking Secretaries to Lunch, Donal Mahoney
- The Lizard Said Yes, Tony Adah
- For real this time, yashovardhan kulkarni
- hey hog rider, does the roof have ricket.., Mandolyn ...
- my hair is still growing as fast as the .., Mandolyn ...
- New Mexico Sky, Taiko
- The Truth Lays, Michael P. McParland
- I Pledge My Life Unto Thine Word, Dr John Celes
- Hope in the Good, yashovardhan kulkarni
- Dogged, Chris Ajiduah