Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
The beggars sat at the bridge's door.
They spread out with tatters and moans.
They spread out with white beards.
The first one said: ' People, I am starving for ages.'
The second said: 'Poverty tore me to pieces
With the sword of torture.'
The third screamed: 'Away with and woe to the world.'
The fourth spat upon the earth and looked at the water.
He reached out his hands to the fifth beggar's hand.
The fifth said: 'Who are you?
You there … do not mock a blind person.'
The sixth said: 'God, provide me with daily bread.
Provide me...You who forget not his slave.
Provide me with a loaf at the dawn of hunger.'
The seventh beggar was a child.
He said: 'Look!'
In his palm, a golden dinar glowed.
The beggars pounced upon the dinar
Even the blind beggar did.
They snatched it as fast as lightening.
They engaged in hand-to-hand fighting.
They fought each other very bitterly.
The child shouted at them: 'Look!'
He showed them his two palms; made of pure gold.
The beggars were taken aback and screamed:
'What must we do? Must we cut your off hands?'
The little beggar laughed.
He descended from the bridge down to the bank.
He took off his rags.
And said: 'So long, my brothers.'
The beggars cried and groaned.
Their groaning filled the whole world
With anguish and tears.
The child said:
'Farewell, brothers in poverty.
Farewell, people of the world.'
And he dropped his body into the water happily.
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Scene by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Pact, Ezra Pound
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies