Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
The beggars sat at the bridge's door.
They spread out with tatters and moans.
They spread out with white beards.
The first one said: ' People, I am starving for ages.'
The second said: 'Poverty tore me to pieces
With the sword of torture.'
The third screamed: 'Away with and woe to the world.'
The fourth spat upon the earth and looked at the water.
He reached out his hands to the fifth beggar's hand.
The fifth said: 'Who are you?
You there … do not mock a blind person.'
The sixth said: 'God, provide me with daily bread.
Provide me...You who forget not his slave.
Provide me with a loaf at the dawn of hunger.'
The seventh beggar was a child.
He said: 'Look!'
In his palm, a golden dinar glowed.
The beggars pounced upon the dinar
Even the blind beggar did.
They snatched it as fast as lightening.
They engaged in hand-to-hand fighting.
They fought each other very bitterly.
The child shouted at them: 'Look!'
He showed them his two palms; made of pure gold.
The beggars were taken aback and screamed:
'What must we do? Must we cut your off hands?'
The little beggar laughed.
He descended from the bridge down to the bank.
He took off his rags.
And said: 'So long, my brothers.'
The beggars cried and groaned.
Their groaning filled the whole world
With anguish and tears.
The child said:
'Farewell, brothers in poverty.
Farewell, people of the world.'
And he dropped his body into the water happily.
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Scene by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
- Festival Of Light, Amitava Sur
- YouTube and Phalloplasty, Jeff Gangwer
- Journey, Dave Cadaqu
- Brad Pitt / Brad Dourif, Jeff Gangwer
- History / Your Dust, Jeff Gangwer
- "...through your rape whistle", Jeff Gangwer
- "Angels are...", Jeff Gangwer
- Your Ghost Doesn't Haunt This Room, Jeff Gangwer
- She Wore Poison on Her Neck, Jeff Gangwer
- Yes or No?, Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)