A Romeo's Comeuppance
Coming toward young Tony now
are the husband and his wife,
that older woman from last night,
the one he danced with New Year's Eve
while downing Heinekens and shots of Jack,
the one he didn't know was married.
She told him he was tall for just 16
and that he danced like Fred Astaire.
But now it's noon on New Year's Day
and the husband just whacked Tony
harder than the drummer
whacked his drums last night.
Falling backward like a slab,
Tony sees the golden halo of the sun
swirl until it disappears.
Later on the gurney, Tony almost hears
the doctor give the nurse his diagnosis,
'a Romeo's comeuppance, not to worry.'
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Romeo's Comeuppance by Donal Mahoney )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Poet's Right, Francie Lynch
- Act 1 scene 1 Romeo, Juliet and there me.., lee fones
- Look East (Regional), Ronald Chapman
- Homage to the Korean Comfort Women (Regi.., Ronald Chapman
- cos the blues, ' TAKES ' - redline bluel.., sEaN nOrTh
- Emptiness, Ronald Chapman
- A Wonder to be Seen on the Han River (Re.., Ronald Chapman
- A Moment's pause, David Whalen
- Almost Forever, Ronald Chapman
- Ice Queen - Yuna Kim Homage (Regional), Ronald Chapman