Allama Muhammad Iqbal
A Mountain and A Squirrel
A mountain was saying this to a squirrel
'Commit suicide if you have self-respect
You are insignificant, still so arrogant, how strange!
You are neither wise, nor intelligent! not even shrewd!
It is strange when the insignificant pose as important!
When the stupid ones like you pose as intelligent!
You are no match in comparison with my splendor
Even the earth is low compared with my splendor
The grandeur of mine does not fall to your lot
The poor animal cannot equal the great mountain! '
On hearing this the squirrel said, 'Hold your tongue!
These are immature thoughts, expel them from your heart!
I do not care if I am not large like you!
You are not a pretty little thing like me
Everything shows the Omni-potence of God
Some large, some small, is the wisdom of God
He has created you large in the world
And He has taught me climbing large trees
You are unable to walk a single step
Only large size! What other greatness have you?
If you are large show me some of the skills I have
Show me how you break this beetle nut as I can
Nothing is useless in this world
Nothing is bad in God's creation
Allama Muhammad Iqbal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Mountain and A Squirrel by Allama Muhammad Iqbal )
- Destiny....., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 9, ramesh rai
- Our House Is The Mountain Top, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- At no cost, hasmukh amathalal
- Overcompensation, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Virtual White Teeth, douglas scotney
- Transformation, Amitava Sur
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 8, ramesh rai
- Space Of Time, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rail Blaze, Thomas Plotz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Let Go and Let God (dedicated to my aunt.., Miss Remy
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)