Sarah Margaret Fuller
A Maiden Sat Beneath a Tree
'A maiden sat beneath a tree;
Tear-bedewed her pale cheeks be,
And she sigheth heavily.
'From forth the wood into the light
A hunter strides with carol light,
And a glance so bold and bright.
'He careless stopped and eyed the maid:
'Why weepest thou ?' he gently said;
'I love thee well, be not afraid.'
'He takes her hand and leads her on —
She should have waited there alone,
For he was not her chosen one.
'He leans her head upon his breast —
She knew 'twas not her home of rest,
But, ah, she had been sore distrest.
'The sacred stars looked sadly down;
The parting moon appeared to frown,
To see thus dimmed the diamond crown.
'Then from the thicket starts a deer —
The huntsman, seizing on his spear
Cries, 'Maiden, wait thou for me here.'
'She sees him vanish into night —
She starts from sleep in deep affright,
For it was not her own true knight.
'Though but in dream Gunhilda failed —
Though but a fancied ill assailed —
Though she but fancied fault bewailed —
'Yet thought of day makes dream of night;
She is not worthy of the knight;
The inmost altar burns not bright.
'If loneliness thou canst not bear —
Cannot the dragon's venom dare —
Of the pure meed thou shoulds't despair.
'Now sadder that lone maiden sighs;
Far bitterer tears profane her eyes;
Crushed in the dust her heart's flower lies.'
Sarah Margaret Fuller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Maiden Sat Beneath a Tree by Sarah Margaret Fuller )
- Soul Sighter, michael walkerjohn
- I Don't Want To Be but I want to., Menkato Awomi
- Treasure Island, Akhtar Jawad
- I Love You- -II, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burkhawalli, Tumhe Kis Karke Paya Ki Tum.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do Not Forget, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bade Miyan, Cchote Miyan Aur Bukhawalli, Bijay Kant Dubey
- z, Vera Sidhwa
- (A) Bio-Environ-P0em, Nyein Way
- Fobbed Off, Diane Hine
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Problematic!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)