A love letter to Jack
You were my first love and I found you by accident
Quietly sitting in a row among others with that blue jacket on-
The course of my life forever changed.
Why do the words that you said wrap themselves around my brain so?
I fell into your charismatic voice like a victim of thievery-
You, taking everything I'd known and dismissing it
As though it didn't matter anymore-
It couldn't matter anymore-
Now I was yours.
The day I met you was too long ago to recollect a date or a time
But I can still feel you on me-
I saw a picture of you today, in fact
And fell back in love as though I'd lost myself and suddenly returned-
Your luminous voice casting dream shadows in my mind
That wondrous darkness spouting off
Thoughts never before thought quite like that.
The comfort of your embrace cannot be described completely-
Warm, innocent, long ago right and wrong,
A song without lyrics playing in my mind on a continuous loop,
A corruption of all I've made myself out to be since I left you
Waiting on the shelf.
I'm barely recognizable as I once was
When I'd listen to your ideas and be reborn
again and again knowing neither of us could really ever die
And somehow it doesn't matter-
Cool air blowing in
The flavor of your ways always tastes the same on my tongue,
Summer Shaw's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A love letter to Jack by Summer Shaw )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(June 7, 1943)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Naming Our Wall, Arno Le Roux
- Oh Beautiful Arkansas, Dorsey Baker
- Those one thousand miles, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- New Amusement Park! EARTHUPERFUN, Mr. Nobody
- Queen Patrenialla - Part 2, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Queen Patrenialla The Story Poem, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- ET part 3, lee fones
- From Green To Gold, Rodrigo Diaz
- Aboude, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Friends 'Forever', Michelle Dragonfly