Adelaide Anne Procter
A Lost Chord
SEATED one day at the Organ,
I was weary and ill at ease,
And my fingers wandered idly
Over the noisy keys.
I do not know what I was playing,
Or what I was dreaming then ;
But I struck one chord of music,
Like the sound of a great Amen.
It flooded the crimson twilight,
Like the close of an Angel's Psalm,
And it lay on my fevered spirit
With a touch of infinite calm.
It quieted pain and sorrow,
Like love overcoming strife ;
It seemed the harmonious echo
From our discordant life.
It linked all perplexéd meanings
Into one perfect peace,
And trembled away into silence
As if it were loth to cease.
I have sought, but I seek it vainly,
That one lost chord divine,
Which came from the soul of the Organ,
And entered into mine.
It may be that Death's bright angel
Will speak in that chord again,
It may be that only in Heaven
I shall hear that grand Amen.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lost Chord by Adelaide Anne Procter )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Mona Lisa Canvas, Gilbert Ortega
- Passion Play, Gilbert Ortega
- The Gatekeeper part 2 (In memory of Edga.., Gilbert Ortega
- AGAINST FORGETTING, George Dee Vuy
- The Gatekeeper part 1 (In memory of Edga.., Gilbert Ortega
- For Jennifer, Gilbert Ortega
- Gilded Thorns, Gilbert Ortega
- Journey of death, ramesh rai
- Green cypress hills…, Mark Heathcote
- Ο χορός των Ερινύων, Elena Ioannou