A living icon
Will our country be able to withstand the lost
when our icon dies?
Shall we be able to overcome the lost
when death sets in?
Shall our country fall to chaos
and our lives be in disarray,
our shall we deny
the things that is happening?
Shall our economy be strong enough
and I wonder if there shall be work for everyone
and shall the price of fuel keep on rising
and will the man on the street
be able to pay for his food?
Shall we loose all our hope
or shall we just deny it?
Shall corruption escalate
and the cruelty of man increase
when hope is gone?
Shall innocent lives be lost?
Shall we all pay the price,
when the reality of it all sinks in?
Will our country be able
to withstand the death of a icon
and will we rise like a phoenix out of the ashes
and live with the hope of freedom?
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A living icon by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- Happy birthday late Mum, Adewale Ajakanri
- Dark Room, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Then you go inside yourself., RIC S. BASTASA
- There's No Escaping Family, A.J. Kent
- the mother sparrow, RIC S. BASTASA
- fed up of hiding the sadness and anger, xenalee haynes
- The Milennium Park, Tony Adah
- don't you dare send me a postcard, Mandolyn ...
- there is a way to write to make you unde.., RIC S. BASTASA
- in Vietnam i had noodles, RIC S. BASTASA
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)