A Lecture Upon The Shadow
Stand still, and I will read to thee
A lecture, love, in love's philosophy.
These three hours that we have spent,
Walking here, two shadows went
Along with us, which we ourselves produc'd.
But, now the sun is just above our head,
We do those shadows tread,
And to brave clearness all things are reduc'd.
So whilst our infant loves did grow,
Disguises did, and shadows, flow
From us, and our cares; but now 'tis not so.
That love has not attain'd the high'st degree,
Which is still diligent lest others see.
Except our loves at this noon stay,
We shall new shadows make the other way.
As the first were made to blind
Others, these which come behind
Will work upon ourselves, and blind our eyes.
If our loves faint, and westwardly decline,
To me thou, falsely, thine,
And I to thee mine actions shall disguise.
The morning shadows wear away,
But these grow longer all the day;
But oh, love's day is short, if love decay.
Love is a growing, or full constant light,
And his first minute, after noon, is night.
John Donne's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lecture Upon The Shadow by John Donne )
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Oliver Wendell Holmes
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Music, Walter de la Mare
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- The Wanderer, Victor Kretzie
- Couplets on Life For The Musing Cynicals.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- salvation army, lee fones
- Bulbous red, GRANT FRASER
- Coming future, Luv Artem
- One Christmas Eve From The North...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Cream Dream Catharsis, Joseph Archer
- Public convienences, GRANT FRASER
- The Man, Victor Kretzie
- Again, Joseph Archer